Featured Posts

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

 Home School Families Need Vision: 3 Reasons Why


Have you ever tried to drive somewhere with no directions? If you have, kudos to you. But for the rest of us, WE NEED DIRECTIONS. Going about our life with no direction, is like trying to play golf without the holes. It's impossible. The Bible states that "where there is no vision, the people perish." Rather your a believer or not, there is definite proverbial  truth in this scripture. Home school families need a vision, in order to communicate effectively, teach, and apply wisdom.

Communicate Vision
Stephen Covey's 7 Habit's of Highly effective People, gives a creed that should be number one with homeschooling.  Habit 2: Beginning with the end in mind;it is based on imagination--the ability to envision in your mind what you cannot at present see with your eyes. If I had the chance, I  would have skipped the c-section during the birth of my boys, if there had been a way (I asked)--but I chose to go through it time and again because I had a vision of the joy at the end of the journey. Our children won't know what our vision is, until we tell them. If you were talking to your child, how would you fill this?(name), Do you know God has great plans for you? I know you have the ability to________________.(sigh) Now if someone could help me with terrible two's... Which brings me to:  Do/did you have a spirited toddler? How do YOU deal with major tantrums?


Applying Wisdom
When I first discussed with my husband the idea of homeschooling our oldest, I researched everything I could about learning styles.  Most of it was too analytical and drawn out. I couldn't figure out which style, let alone his. I do, however, know who I am (most of the time).Capturing the hearts of our children is the key. It took the better part of last year, for me to understand "how" to teach to my children.

Teach Convictions 
Now back to the analogy of driving. We all know by now that we need directions. When it comes to home schooling, our conviction shouldn't be  "Yeah, I think I'll try it," or "it's the spiritual way". Following directions correctly, is the important part of a destination. The same goes with our convictions They cannot be put into place if there is no vision. Being living examples to our children is the best way in teaching our convictions.

Why we home school
Together my husband and I sat down and prayed for our children;  lifting up our voices of our concerns and needs. As we studied God's word, our answer was clear in home schooling our children.  I know that our conviction is the foundation of faith and wisdom needed, in building our children's testimony of Jesus Christ.
Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl


4 comments: on "Home School Families Need Vision: 3 Reasons Why"

My Cottage Charm said...

I homeschool my youngest son. After sending two through the public school system and seeing what goes on there, we decided that we could do it better at home with our third. I wish I had known about homeschooling "way back when" or our other two wouldn't have gone through the school system either. I want my kids to follow the life God has for them, so we pray just that way...that they will let their lives be in the center of God's will. Hope you have a great day...and maybe we can swap some ideas back and forth sometime! :) Be blessed!

legendswife said...

I'm always looking for new ideas.

Karen said...

Without vision, the people perish.

legendswife said...

We see so many perishing, because of lack, thereof.God's calling; let's pray for those to listen, in Jesus Name.

Grab A Cup Of Tea & Sit A Spell

Messages are from North Point Community Church.Discussion questions can be found here.